We, humans in the modern society, tend to consume endless servings of fast food and processed food. They feed us meaningless “healthy” nutrition information on the backs of the products, while our health takes a step down for the worse.
Due to this negligent damage, we should go on a DETOX. We should think of detoxing our body as a moment of spring clean like how we clear up our mess in our bedroom once in a while. A detox can dramatically reduce the presence of unwanted toxins.
Foods to avoid during your detox
• Red meat, chicken, turkey and any meat products like sausages, burgers, hams or bacons
• Milk, cheese, eggs, cream
• Butter and margarine
• Any food that contains wheat including bread, croissants, cereals, cakes, biscuits, pies, pastry, quiche, battered or breadcrumbed foods, etc
• Crisps and savoury snacks including salted nuts
• Chocolate, sweets, jam and sugar
• Processed foods, ready meals, ready-made sauces and takeaways
• Coffee and tea
• Sauces, pickles, shop bought salad dressing, mayonnaise
• Fizzy drinks and squashes, including diet versions
Rather than following an extreme detox plan that limits just about every food except fruit and vege while at the same time getting you to down a nasty ‘detox’ drink every day, this plan is safer and more sensible and shouldn’t leave you short on nutrients if you follow it for just one week.
Your plan can include:
• Fruit – your plan can include any fruit including fresh, frozen, dried or canned in natural fruit juice. This includes apples, bananas, pears, oranges, grapefruit, satsumas, sultanas, raisins, pineapple, mango, kiwi fruit, strawberries, raspberries, blackcurrant, peaches, melons, star fruit etc
• Fruit juice – either make homemade fruit juices or smoothies from fresh fruit, or drink ready-made juices. Make sure ready-made juices are labelled as being ‘pure’ or ‘unsweetened’.
• Vegetables – eat any vegetables including fresh, frozen or canned in water (without salt added). This includes carrots, onions, turnip, swede, sprouts, cabbage, peppers, mushrooms, sweetcorn, peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, salad, tomatoes, cucumber, spring onions etc
• Beans and lentils – eat any beans, including those that have been dried or canned in water. This includes red kidney, haricot, cannellini, butter, black eye, pinto, red lentils, green lentils and brown lentils
• Oats – sprinkle oats over fresh fruit or use to make porridge, sweetened with honey and fresh fruit
• Brown rice and rice noodles
• Fresh fish – eat any fresh fish including cod, plaice, mackerel, salmon, lobster, crab, trout, haddock, tuna, prawns, Dover sole, red mullet, halibut, lemon sole, monkfish, swordfish etc. Canned fish in water is suitable too eg salmon or tuna
• Unsalted nuts – eat any including Brazil, peanuts, almonds, cashew, hazel nuts, macadamia, pecans, pine nuts, pistachio, walnuts etc
• Unsalted seeds – eat any including sunflower and pumpkin
• Plain popcorn – without sugar or salt
• Live natural yoghurt
• Extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar
• Garlic, ginger and fresh herbs
• Ground black pepper
• Water – at least 2 litres a day. Tap or mineral water is fine.
• Herbal or fruit teas
Sounds boring huh? Why don’t you try preparing your own meals? It will take a little extra effort but you will be appreciating your food. You may try the following examples for your detox plan:
(a) Porridge made with water and topped with natural yoghurt, banana, raisins and sweetened with honey
(b) Homemade muesli made from oats, seeds, nuts and dried fruit served with natural yoghurt.
(a) Jacket potato topped with tuna (canned in water) mixed with sweetcorn and natural yoghurt and served with salad.
(b) Slices of tomatoes, cucumber, tuna (canned in water) with very little mayo dressing
(c) Steamed broccoli and carrots served with any fish
(a) Bake a salmon fillet and serve with a jacket potato and steamed vegetables
(b) Boil a vegetale soup filled with onions, carrots, tomatoes, potatoes and tofu.
By the end of the 7th day, you should be rejuvenated and refreshed after the detox. If you think you haven’t achieve the ultimatum in health, I suggest you exercise.
Who knows, you will end up like this model:
Ahh.. just kidding guys. Most importantly, you do cleanse your digestive system once in a while. We need to do some maintenance to our body like how we maintain our cars from time to time.
So, take time out to detox!