Two nights ago, I dreamed that I was dining in a Malaysian food court with my buddies, indulging all the Malaysian delicacies. This made me miss Malaysian food incredibly and I just had to make something Malaysian to satisfy my cravings.
After doing some research online, I found the closest recipe here to Damansara Uptown Village Park Restaurant’s Ayam Goreng Berempah that goes with their famous Nasi Lemak.
I did not follow the recipe given strictly because I couldn’t find them in my nearest grocery market. Thus, I made some slight changes to substitute the ingredients that I did not have.
What I used to make this dish:-
4 chicken drumsticks/pieces
3 dashes of garlic powder
2 dashes of onion powder
1 teaspoon of ginger powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
1 tablespoon turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon Madras curry powder
2 dashes of chilli powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch flour
Canola Oil for deep frying
1. Mix all the above ingredients including the chicken drumsticks in a big bowl.
2. Mix well and leave the bowl covered in the refrigerator for at least an hour or overnight if you can. (Disclaimer: The recipe owner prefers to leave her marinated meat overnight so that the meat can absorb more of the wonderful flavours from the marinate.)
3. Heat the oil and deep fry the marinated drumsticks for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Make sure you flip the drumsticks from time to time.
4. Drain the chicken on kitchen paper towels. Voila!
5. Enjoy your Ayam Goreng Berempah!
As for me, I served my spiced fried chicken with some homemade Nasi Lemak and curry sauce.
Oh well, oh well. Nothing in this world beats Malaysian food! You rock, Malaysia!