I think I have mentioned a couple of times how much I enjoy cooking for my family. I can’t dismiss the fact that the kitchen is my ultimate sanctuary, where I endeavor to produce meals out of love. There are also several lazy days when I am reluctant to do too much preparation of a meal, and I just want to toss together an easy way out for dinner.
So what do I do? I make poached chicken. It only takes 10 minutes to prepare and 5 minutes to toss everything into the pot and walk away from the kitchen until it is ready to be served. Are you ready for a lazy yet healthy meal?
2 Chicken breasts
3 stalks of scallions, cut the thicker root bulb parts (discard the roots) into 2-inch lengths and the rest of green leaf parts into 1-inch lengths
1 yellow onion, cut into 2-inch lengths
3 red hot chilli peppers, cut into half-inch lengths
3 tbsp of Sesame seed Oil
3 tbsp of soy sauce
1/3 cup of ready fried shallots
3 peeled garlic cloves
Few dashes of white ground pepper
Are you ready with those listed ingredients? Let’s cook!
Step by step:
1. Boil about 1.5 litres of water in a pot.
2. Once the water is boiling, add in onions, scallion’s bulb parts, and garlic into the pot.
3. Add in the 2 chicken breasts and cover the pot with a lid.
4. Reduce the heat immediately to medium-low and set the timer for approximately 35-45 minutes.
5. Remove the chicken and check that the meat is entirely cooked.
6. Once the chicken is cool enough to be handled by hands, shred them apart into edible sizes on a serving dish.
7. Spread sesame seed oil and soy sauce over the chicken shreds.
8. Dash some white ground pepper, fried shallots, and the leftover scallion leaves over the chicken.
9. Lastly, depending on how spicy you want your chicken to be, toss in some red hot chilli pepper to spice up the dish. (Note: This is optional)
The best part of cooking poached chicken is the soup that comes with it. However, if you are in a rush, you can cook the chicken at high heat which takes only about 20 minutes. The only difference is the amount of time that the chicken is immersed in the scallion-garlic-onion soup. The longer the better but you don’t want to overcook the meat at high heat.
I usually serve this dish with brown rice. It is healthylicious and I hope you like this recipe.